Leadership Washington Focus (LWF) is a 4-H leadership program for youth currently in grades 6-8 (2018-19 school year). The program will take place at the National 4-H Youth Conference Center, just 1 mile from the Washington, D.C. border. For more than 50 years, thousands of 4-H’ers have participated in the leadership high school program, Citizenship Washington Focus and now we are happy to introduce its precursor for middle school 4-H’ers, Leadership Washington Focus.
Middle school 4-H delegates will:
- Build confidence in their ability to motivate and direct others in meaningful action
- Practice effective communication with others through group discussion and public speaking
- Work with others to create and accomplish goals
- Develop an understanding of their own personal leadership style
- Exchange ideas, practice respect, and form friendships with other 4-H’ers from across the nation.
- Experience hands-on learning using the historical backdrop of Washington, D.C.
- Youth from any WI 4-H county are welcome. Registration information will be sent to all eligible youth after December 1st
- Dates of travel July 14-19, 2019 (only one session will be offered next summer)
- Total trip cost will not exceed $1100 per youth participant and includes: Round-trip transportation, Leadership Washington Focus program registration (includes lodging and meals at the 4-H Center), and some incidentals.
- Travel will be by coach bus (Alternative travel may be considered depending on group size and cost)
- Chris Viau, Wood County 4-H Agent, is the trip Coordinator
- Youth and parents will participate in a orientation session in a semi-central area prior to the trip, in person or via technology.
Forest County does not currently have a scholarship program for this type of travel. However, if there are any Forest County youth interested in attending this session, we can develop a fundraising plan to help offset the cost. Please contact Michelle at 478-7797 if interested.
Additional information on the experience can be found here.